First of all, the 4th this year landed on a Wednesday, so that meant we got a day off of school right in the middle of the week. It was nice having a little breather, but kind of a bummer having to go back the next day.
Wednesday, August 29, 2012
4th of July Fun
Joseph and I had a really great 4th of July this year. I've always loved the 4th of July, so I wanted to make this year one that we would remember.
First of all, the 4th this year landed on a Wednesday, so that meant we got a day off of school right in the middle of the week. It was nice having a little breather, but kind of a bummer having to go back the next day.
We were able to sleep in and then made a yummy breakfast of eggs and bacon. We then biked down to Porter Park to watch the parade. We saw another couple from our ward and invited them to come and share our blanket, which they did. It was nice to get out and all, but the parade was kind of a downer this year...not too exciting. It was more fun listening to Joseph and Kyle (one of our friends) and their running commentary on all the different floats and all that.
After the parade we came home and started getting things ready for our little shin-dig that we had planned. Growing up, my family and I would always go over to another family's home after the parade for a 4th of July pot-luck sort of thing. I loved doing that and so I decided that I could be the one that organized it so I could get that tradition going again in my life. It was really fun. We had about 12 other couples that showed up with different yummy 4th of July like food. There were hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, watermelon, cookies, potato salad, dutch oven potatoes, noddle salad, Popsicle, and lots of other great stuff. It was great to just hang with friends and visit.
Hehe...after the shin-dig, while we were all cleaning up, one of my friends, Emily, decided to dump her still hot coals from her grill into the dumpster. Oh that was fun. Joseph and another brother from the ward helped pour water into the dumpster to extinguish the flames that were jumping from it. Her only defense...she's never had to take care of the coals before. Oh it was funny...great memory to look back on.

Several days before, Joseph and I had went to one of those firework shacks that they have up every where and bought us a bounteous supply of fireworks for our own 4th of July festivities. Joseph was really excited about getting to set off his own fireworks, and I was excited too, but I made sure that we kept the fireworks smaller, because I am still paranoid about something going wrong. We had another couple from our ward come with us when we went to lite them off. I, of course, got my usual sparklers and had some fun drawing with them.
After we exhausted our supply of fireworks we decided to go up to the temple hill to sit and wait for the Rexburg fireworks. A couple of our friends from the ward decided to join us. It was beautiful up on the hill and it was a great time spending the time with our friends just talking. We never did see the Rexburg fireworks though, we always seem to miss them.
Overall, it was a really great day. We were able to spend some time with great people, have some great fun, and also (most importantly) remember the true reason for the holiday. I am grateful for the country that I live in and the freedom that was fought for. God Bless America!!!
First of all, the 4th this year landed on a Wednesday, so that meant we got a day off of school right in the middle of the week. It was nice having a little breather, but kind of a bummer having to go back the next day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You missed the fireworks too? Last year we looked it up online when and where they would be and we never found them! Glad you at least had your own little ones!
ReplyDeleteHey Nicole,
ReplyDeleteFun to read and catch up on what you are doing. I grew up in Pocatello Idaho and still visit there about 5 times a year. Evan and I are living in Lehi Utah. If you are down this way, come and see us!