Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Lions, Tigers, and Bears...Oh My!!!!

So this past weekend, we decided to visit the zoo in Idaho Falls. I love the zoo, I love getting to see all the fun animals and stuff like that. I'm pretty sure it makes me feel like a kid again. The zoo itself was pretty small, but it was still super fun.

They had penguins, and so that was the first place I wanted to go. Turns out that we were just in time to watch them feed the penguins. It was so funny!! Several minutes before the feeder entered the penguin area, all of the penguins were lined up by the door...they knew what was coming!!!! Then they followed the feeder around, just waddling and chasing each other for the fish she was dishing out. It was so fun!!

We then went and checked out some of the different birds that they had. Joseph got a really good picture of the swans that were there. We also got to see a  colored macaw and a military macaw...such pretty birds!
And, of course, there were the flamingos! I even learned something, that flamingos are pink because of their diet, the different things they eat contain a pink/red pigment in them that changes the flamingos feathers. If they changed their diet, they would really be an unattractive grayish color.






 Wandering over to the Africa area of the zoo, we got to see the lions, and tiger, and also some zebras. I think the lions were Joseph's favorite. He got some really great ones of the lion and his lioness...I'm pretty sure they were posing for him.

The zebras were pretty cool, they had two new baby zebras this year so that was pretty neat.



When we went to look at the tiger, he was sleeping in the sun...not so exciting...but he was huge!!! I'm pretty sure his paw was about the size of a small dinner plate.!!



The last place we visited was the monkey house, where Joseph proceeded to make faces at some of the monkeys. It was kinda fun to watch the monkeys just swing around and play. Some of the monkeys I have never seen before so that was really neat as well. 

While at the zoo we also saw this pretty neat animal that was in one of the habitats...not sure what it is really!!!
We also found some pretty cool cut outs of some animals...so we were excited to see them...but it was more exciting to see the real things.
I also go a ride on a tiger :) hahaha...and Joseph just about lost his head to a lion!!!!
 
Overall, it was a pretty great day out at the zoo!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I seriously love the zoo! We went to a zoo on our honeymoon and it was so fun! It really brings out the kid in ya again! :)

    ReplyDelete