Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Is That a Sword??? Why, Yes It Is!!!

So, I have a confession to make...my husband is a nerd! Don't worry, I still love him and all, and I did know this when I married him. He is a super big fan of the Lord of the Rings series by J.R.R. Tolkien. I believe he has read the books several times, and enjoys spending long hours watching the movies of them. He is such a big fan or nerd...which ever you chose to use...that he saved up last year's Christmas money and this year's birthday money so he could buy one of the swords, as seen in the movies.
This is Glamdring, Gandalf the wizard's sword. One is first introduced to Glamdring in the Hobbit actually. It is found in the same cave that Bilbo finds his sword, Sting. So I guess you could say that Glamdring and Sting are sibling swords (there is another sibling to these swords, Orcrist I believe, and I think that is Joseph's next buy).
It was so funny to watch him come home everyday after he ordered the sword. He would run up to the door to see if we had a package sitting outside our apartment. I tell ya, it was just like watching a little kid at Christmas time. When Glamdring finally arrived, he opened it and then just stared at it...it was so funny to watch him. Joseph then promptly got the wall piece mounted on the wall, and now we have about a 5ish foot sword hanging on our wall in our living room.
When the sword first came Joseph carried it all over the apartment with him, I think he felt tough with it...I don't know. He would sit at the table and do his homework with Glamdring resting on his lap. When we would watch the Lord of the Rings movies he would take it down off the wall and just hold it. Sigh...I did have to draw the line with bringing it into the bedroom at night. I told him I would take my chances with any orcs and goblins that might break into the house :) 
My favorite thing is when we have people over to our house that have never been before. We get one of two reactions, they either just stare at it and don't say anything but continue to stare at it, or they ask, "Is that a sword on your wall?" Joseph is always more than happy to get it down from the wall and talk all about it, and he even lets some people hold it.
So, yes, we have a sword hanging on our wall. What can I say...my husband is kind of a nerd. 

1 comment:

  1. Don't think that your husband is the only man that's a nerd--pretty sure every man is a nerd. Yes, even MY husband (gasp!). :)

    ReplyDelete