I had gone into the clinic just to listen to his little heartbeat, because I hadn't felt him move much the day before. I didn't think much of it, but they couldn't find his heartbeat with the Doppler or with an ultrasound. Instead they found a pinched umbilical cord wrapped around his neck, thus cutting off his blood and oxygen supply. Our little baby was no longer with us, but instead with his Heavenly Father.
Our doctor scheduled an inducement for later that day, so we headed up to the hospital to wait. They checked me and I was 4cm dilated and 80% effaced...so I was pretty much in labor already and didn't even know it. They broke my water and started me on Pitocin. I didn't start feeling any contractions until I was around 5 1/2, 6cm dilated. I had planned on having an unmedicated labor and delivery, but with the Pitocin, I decided on an epidural around 7cm. An hour later I was ready to push and two hours after that, at 10:06 pm on November 8th, our darling boy was born. Overall is was a practically perfect delivery, with minimal tearing and everything going smoothly and without any kind of complication.
Ethan was 7lbs. 10oz. and 20 1/2 inches long. He was a beautiful little baby boy. The nurses cleaned him up and put him in a little outfit and brought him back to Joseph and I. We got to hold him and cherish what time we could have with him. He had my nose and lips, and overall just looked a lot like his momma. He was a perfect little guy. I got to watch Joseph hold his son and fall asleep with him on his chest like he had always dreamed of doing one day. It broke my heart knowing this was the only time he would be able to do that with Ethan. Joseph was even able to give little Ethan a name and a blessing with the help of our bishop.

Both of us shed many tears over our little boy. We had grown to love him so much throughout my pregnancy, and our love for him has continued to grow. We are so thankful for the time we had with him and the memories we were able to make. We are thankful for the opportunity we had to provide a body for him, and we are also super thankful for the privilege of still being his parents from now throughout all eternity. We know that we will be able to be with him again as a family, for that I am most grateful.
Both Joseph and I have grown a lot throughout this past month. We have learned to really rely and trust in our Heavenly Father and his son, Jesus Christ, our Savior. We are grateful for the gift of our Savior's atonement, and the immense healing it has been able to bring us. We know that the Plan of Salvation is there to bless families, and through that plan we know that we can continue to be a forever family. We are thankful for the holy temple and the wonderful blessings we are able to receive through the covenants we make there.
I would also like to say how blessed Joseph and I are to have such wonderful friends and family members that have been there with us the entire time. Thank you so much for all of the prayers and thoughts on our behalf, we have felt every single one of them and they have helped us so much.Joseph and I refuse to look at this as a loss, because we know that we have not lost Ethan, not really. We just didn't get as much time with him here in this life, but we know that we will one day get to hold him again and love him. Both of us look forward to that day with great joy and excitement.
We are doing very well, and are moving forward with faith and trusting the Lord to lead us to where we need to be.
What a beautiful post. You are an inspiration to many. Your little Ethan is so lucky to have you for a momma.
ReplyDeleteNicole,
ReplyDeleteI am so impressed with your outlook. I know that it is because you have a Gospel centered life but still I know that not everyone in your situation would handle it as well as you have and I have been so touched by your strength and perseverance. You are so loved and so glad that I could hear your story. I was curious but figured I would find out in due time! Love you tons girl and you are an inspiration to many!
Thank you for sharing your story. You truly are an inspiration and your example helps me to be stronger in my trial that I am facing right now. I love you Nicole and feel extremely blessed to have been in your "family" in the yellow cast. You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Love always Kim Barrow (Mathews)
ReplyDeleteOh Nicole, you are so strong and faithful. Thanks for your wonderful example. I love you!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing such a personal story with such intimate details. Isn't the plan of salvation grand? As I look my own family and the trials we've been through, I know that it is the Savior and his atonement that's kept us going. Sometimes we all need a pity party; a chance to feel sad and cry. But then we also need to pull ourselves up and get going, and you and Joseph have done just that. Love you tons!
ReplyDeleteWhat an inspiration! Thank you for sharing your story and Ethan's. What a lucky little guy to be FOREVER in YOUR family. You are on my mind often, I'm very impressed and proud of your hopeful, faithful attitude. It's ok to have bad days too--it's all a part of the grieving experience. You are strong and beautiful. Thank you for being you!
ReplyDeleteYou are both amazing. Still praying for you guys :)
ReplyDeleteIt was a year ago that my husband and I lost a baby. Though the circumstances were different, we also felt added strength and blessings through our focus on the Atonement and Resurrection. I hope that the upcoming Christmas holidays, with all it's focus on the Christ child, will continue to bring you peace as you remember that through him you will be reunited with your own little one.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your testimony and faith.