So as I was laying in bed at 3:30 this morning - courtesy of a sore hip and an active Allison - and was thinking of different holiday traditions that Joseph and I have, and I realized we really don't have many when it comes to Thanksgiving. So, in my half-dazed state, I decided that I was going to start a new Thanksgiving tradition, something that our children can participate in when they get older.
I'm going to make a list of things that I am thankful for, a list with as many things as my age...so this year it will include 24 things. Here goes...
I'm thankful for:
1. My beautiful, wonderful children...all three of them. I love my sweet, little angel babies, Ethan and Emily, and am so grateful for them. And lovely, little lady Allison is my life right now!!! My children have changed my life so much and have taught me such invaluable lessons.
2. My amazing, supportive husband, Joseph. I think back to all the memories we've made together, and I'm so glad that he decided to take a chance on me. He is my strength, and has been there beside me during my best and worst moments...and he continues to love me no matter what.
3. My education. I had such a wonderful high school experience - which helped me continually in my college life. I've been able to get my Associate Degree in General Studies from the University of Wisconsin - Marathon County...which was great. The best educational experience I've had thusly would have to be all the time I spent at Brigham Young University - Idaho where I received my Bachelor of Science in Child Development. The school is amazing and the wonderful Spirit that is there really makes the learning experience unlike anything else.
4. Wonderful friends...from all over the place. I have such amazing friends from back home, and then a bajillion more out here in Idaho. I'm so grateful for the support they all have been, and so glad that we have such great memories with such great people that have made a difference in our lives!
5. The Atonement and Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Probably one of my great blessings in my life...I would be nothing without the wonderful gift of our Savior and his mercy and love. Because of the Atonement I am able to endure all the trials and sorrows of a mortal world. I am able to be reunited with my family someday...especially my children that I have had to say good-bye to too soon. I'm grateful for the unconditional love that our Savior has for all of us.
6. The restored gospel of Jesus Christ found in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The gospel brings such peace into my life, and helps me understand the meaning of this crazy life.
7. The Plan of Salvation...it brings families together and keeps them together...for that I'm grateful. I love knowing where I started life, who I was with - my great family - and knowing where I am going to be going and how I get to remain forever with my family.
8. Temples. These beautiful buildings are glorious to look at, and the peace felt on the grounds and within the walls is wonderful. The doctrine of temples brings happiness to my heart knowing that I have made sacred covenants that will hold me together with my family and my Savior forever. Because of these temples, and # 5 - 7 above, death does not have to be the end...and for that I am eternally grateful.
9. Modern technology. Anyone that knows Joseph and I know that we aren't really up on all the latest and coolest technology, but we each have simple cell phones and computers with internet access. We are grateful to be able to stay in touch with our family and friends...that's mostly what we use our technology for.
10. My wonderful parents. I don't think I ever truly appreciated my parents and everything that they did for me growing up...and then I got married, had children of my own, and actually had to grow up and be an adult...now I am super grateful for everything they have ever done for me. They taught me how to work, how to be responsible, and so many other wonderful things. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be the kind of person I am without my loving parents.
11. My siblings...I really am thankful for them...even though we haven't always got along in the best ways. I'm also super thankful for my siblings' spouses...they're pretty fun people!
12. My in-laws...they are such amazing people as well. I love knowing that they get to be a part of my forever family. I love them and am glad that they have become such a wonderful part of my life.
13. Nieces and nephews...ok, I only have one nephew and a handful of nieces, but I'm going to be thankful for all the ones that haven't come yet either. They add such a fun layer to our family life...they are so spunky and special. Oh and snuggly...love how snuggly they can be.
14. Crisp autumn days with fallen leaves, and cool winter days with freshly fallen snow. For me, these are the type of days that I tend to reflect the most about life and about what is important. I love how serene and peaceful the earth looks on these days. It seems to help me recenter my life and my perspective.
15. Books - I LOVE books!! Books can teach you so much, not just academically, but it can teach life lessons, lessons on emotions, morals, and so so so much more. I'm glad that I married a wonderful man that loves books just as much as I do...and I really hope that we can instill that love of books into our children's lives.
16. Scriptures. When I was a kid I would always hear that you could always find your answers in the scriptures, and that they bring so much peace into your life. I don't think I fully understood all that until I got older, and now I can say that the scriptures to bring so much peace and they really do hold all the answers to so much that we worry and wonder about.
17. Prayer...oh so grateful for prayer. I'm grateful that I am able to pray to a loving Heavenly Father. I know that he hears my prayers and he really truly cares about my concerns.
18. A running car. We've had our new car for almost a year and I simply love it. It's dependable, and I don't have to worry about it breaking down on me somewhere. It's so nice to know that our car is reliable.
19. Joseph's job. This is something we've both been super grateful for lately. I'm so happy that he was able to find a job here in Rexburg, that way we can stay here for Allison's birth, and we just love Rexburg...we weren't quite ready to leave yet. Even though his job is really just an internship right now...we're grateful that he has work...and we pray that we can be blessed to have the job turn long-term and permanent once tax season is over.
20. Food...how can I not be grateful for food!! I love how tasty it is and how it can be super good for you...okay I'm even grateful for the not so good stuff - everyone has to have a little sugar in their life.
21. Music. I love music...probably almost as much as I love books. I believe that music is an universal language - it reaches out and touch the hearts and emotions of everyone that hears it. Love it!
22. A wonderful church ward and ward family. We have been in the same ward for 3 years now...and we love it so much. There is such unity in our little ward family, even with all the crazy turnover every semester, but it really is such a great group of people. Oh and we have such an amazing, inspired bishop that has been such a blessing in our lives.
23. Laughter - it's a natural medicine. Joseph has told me many times that he really works each day to get me to smile and laugh. Laughing can't really solve the problems, but it sure can make a person happier and can change a person's perspective. I love to laugh!
24. Maternity clothes and sweatpants...don't laugh, I really am super thankful for these. Each day my baby girl grows and so does my belly. I'm glad I have clothes that fit and that are super comfortable during this ending stage of my pregnancy.
Well, there you go, my thankful list. There are so many other things that I could write about, so many other things to be grateful for. Today is such a wonderful day, and I hope that we all take the time to reflect on our lives and all of our blessings.
Have a happy holiday ya'll...HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!
Nicole, you are so awesome! I loved reading your list. You're a huge example to me! Thanks for being such a great friend!
ReplyDelete